Tuesday 6 January 2015

PAST PAPER B - YEAR 1997 (Supplementary)

2. YEAR 1997 (Supplementary) 
Attempt FIVE questions in all. All questions carry equal marks. 
SECTION - A
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following:
(i) "You are wounded!" "Nay", the soldier's pride
Touched to the quick, he said;
"I'm killed, sir!" And this chief beside,
Smiling the boy fell dead.
(ii) The disease is beyond my practice.
Yet I have known those which
Have walked in their sleep who
Have died holily in their beds.
(iii) How soon both time, the subtle thief of youth
Stolen on his wing my three & tweltieth year
My hasting days fly on with full career,
But my late spring no bud no blossom skew'
Perhaps my semblance might deceive the truth
(iv) Ever let the Fancy room
Pleasure never is at home
At a touch sweat pleasure melth
Like to bubbles when rain pelteth
(v) She looks and her heart is in heaven but they fade
The mist and the river, the hill and the shade
The stream will not flow, and the hill will not rise
And the colours have all passed away from her eyes.
(vi) I have been once acquainted with the night
I have walked out in rain and back in rain
I have outwalked the furthest city light
2. What is the tragic flaw? Find in the Macbeth in 'Macbeth' by Shakespeare. OR
Write a character sketch of Lady Macbeth.
3. Lady Macbeth underestimates the crime committed by her husband when she says the litter water clears us of the dead, how easy is then? What do you think about its truth/reality with reference to Macbeth by Shakespeare? OR
Do you think that there is a moral purpose in the play 'Macbeth' by Shakespeare?
SECTION - B
4. Critically examine lines 1-26 of Paradise Lost Book I by Milton.
5. In spite of gloom, Bereft is not a poem of despair. Discuss.
6. Discuss how Wordsworth gives importance to imagination.
7. Discuss Keats as a writer of Odes with reference to those you have studied.
8. Discuss Browning's treatment of Nature with reference to his poems in your syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment